In order to come up with my predictions for the imminent football season, I’ve gone through the entire 2007 NFL schedule and picked every game. As I did with my baseball predictions, I’ll list what I came up with here so that it’s “on the record,” and we’ll revisit it at the end of the season to see how accurate I was. This also opens my picks up to criticism, which I’ll welcome as always. (Teams in bold make the playoffs.)
|Cincinnati 13-3||Tennessee 11-5|
|Baltimore 10-6||Indianapolis 10-6|
|Cleveland 6-10||Jacksonville 7-9|
|Pittsburgh 5-11||Houston 5-11|
|San Diego 12-4||New England 12-4|
|Denver 10-6||New York 7-9|
|Kansas City 7-9||Miami 6-10|
|Oakland 4-12||Buffalo 6-10|
|Chicago 13-3||New Orleans 8-8|
|Detroit 8-8||Carolina 6-10|
|Green Bay 6-10||Tampa Bay 5-11|
|Minnesota 3-13||Atlanta 5-11|
|Seattle 10-6||Philadelphia 13-3|
|St. Louis 9-7||Dallas 11-5|
|Arizona 9-7||New York 9-7|
|San Francisco 8-8||Washington 2-14|
And the Playoffs (winners in bold):
|AFC Wild Card||AFC Divisional Playoffs||AFC Championship||NFC Championship||NFC Divisional Playoffs||NFC Wild Card|
Yes, I’m a homer who thinks the Bears will get back to the Super Bowl this year and actually win it. Here are some other brief and generalized thoughts I have about the upcoming season:
- I’m on the Vince Young and Tennessee bandwagon, and yes, I’m completely ignoring the Madden Curse.
- I think the Bears are still good enough to overcome the traditional (as of late) Super Bowl losers’ hangover, mostly because their division is still the weakest in football so at least getting to the playoffs is more or less a foregone conclusion.
- At the same time, I think the Colts blew their karmic load last year and will return to finding their annual disappointment in the playoffs.
- Best divisions: AFC North and West, NFC West and East
- Most dominant teams: Bengals and Eagles
- Worst teams: Raiders and Redskins
- Teams to watch out for: Titans, Ravens, Rams, Lions
- Trendy teams I’m not sold on: Colts, Dolphins, Broncos, Giants, Saints, Cardinals
- Fantasy leagues I’m in this year: 2. Team names? The Hiphoppopatomus in one, The Rhymenoceros in the other. I can’t lose.